Saturday, November 19, 2011

Chapter 5 Question 10: What is language function?

Question: Chapter 5 Question 10
What is language function? Give to examples of language function.

Answer on page 76 of book ‘How to Teach English’
A language function is a purpose you wish to achieve when you say or write something.

The book’s example of is if you want a student to come on time to class tomorrow you could say:
Get here on time next class if you know what’s good for you.
I suggest you get here on time next class.
Next class? On time, OK?


You would use these depending on the context of the speaker, person being spoken to, and their mutual context.

If you want to express apology:
I’m sorry.
I AM sorry.
I didn’t mean to do that.
My ‘b’.
Sorry.

If you want to express satisfaction:
Wow, that’s great.
Wonderful, I liked that.
That’s good.

No comments:

Post a Comment